Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Beware of Serving Sizes

On my coffee break, I grabbed what could have been a healthy snack. Instead it was pretty much brunch.

I purchased a "Breakfast in a cup" which consisted of seven layers: yogurt, granola, fruit, yogurt, granola, fruit, banana on top. I would estimate the amounts as 1/2 cup yogurt (whole?), 1/2 cup granola, 1 cup fruit, 1/2 banana. Running the numbers through CalorieKing, I'd estimate I packed away about 562 calories, with 91 g carbs and 18.7 g fat (which makes the "treat" about 30% calories from fat.)

The problem here is that to my eye, the serving didn't look too big. In fact it was at least double what I was craving and probably three or four times what I should have eaten as a midmorning snack. The killer ingredient in fact is the granola -- and it tasted sweet so I used the "average all brands" rating on CalorieKing: 262 calories/29 g carbs/13.7 g fat. The only reason I'm not panicking too much is because there was a lot of fruit -- packed with vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants.

Lesson learned. Maybe I will skip food for lunch and go for a walk instead.

No comments: