Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Fat Free is not Calorie free

It isn't carb free either. In fact, I'm not sure what to think of "Fat Free International Delight Coffee Whitener" other than wonder whether it will clog the drain when I dump the remainder. I had started buying the product because it seemed a nice rich option for my coffee. It is. In fact, it is about twice as rich as light cream.

International Delight - Fat free French Vanilla packs 30 calories into a tablespoon. I usually use two per mug of coffee. In return for 60 added calories per mug I get 0% fat, cholesterol or sodium; but I also get 14 g of carbs, most of which (10 g) is sugar and I get no vitamin A or calcuium.

Compare this to Dairyland Light Cream (6% milk-fat; just a little richer than whole milk but lighter than standard 10% milk-fat creamer (a.k.a "half and half")). Two tablespoons offers only 25 calories and while that includes 2 g of fat, it offers only 1 g of sugar (which is also the full carb count). Throw in 5 mg cholesterol and 30 mg of sodium, but I'll accept that in exchange for vitamin A (2% RDA) and calcium (4% RDA).

I know what's going in my coffee now.

No comments: