Monday, May 04, 2009

dusting off the cobwebs...

Hey look! It's a new blog post here...

So. I'm staring down my 40th birthday and realizing my goal of "fit before 40" may not be reached. I am the heaviest I've ever been and I've slipped back into some very bad habits... plus my attempts at exercise have not "stuck." Then last week, on the exact day that I was lamenting to anyone who would listen that I still didn't own a bike "or I could at least bike to work," Mike picked me up and we bought bikes.

That was last Wednesday and on Thursday, I biked to work for the first time in years. It took me about 30 minutes. It hurt and I was bright red when I got to work but I felt better. I made it home in even better time, realizing that the work-home trip is ideal: mostly slight uphill to work, mostly slight downhill back home. Friday, I did it again and while I was pretty physically exhausted, I felt good about myself. Today, despite the turn in weather, I biked in again. I left a little extra time for myself and didn't push quite so hard.

My goal is to bike all week this week and next -- next week is Bike to Work Week in the region, too -- and see how I am doing at that point.

I am also going to start a weekly weigh-in. The plan is "weigh-in Wednesday" but I won't be putting down my actual weight or my goal weight. Instead, I will start with a T+number (target plus the number of pounds I'd like to lose which as of last week looks like about 70.) and work my way down. I don't expect to shed magical amounts of weight --I don't care if my clothes are still size XL -- but I need to be healthier.

No comments: