Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Weighing in and wondering.

First the weigh-in. It's up. T+72, which means I re-gained the 6 pounds I had lost and they brought a friend. So of course my inner dialog brings out the old, "but muscle weighs more than fat!" chestnut which only succeeded in reminding me that weighinwednesday needs to incorporate some other measurements -- measurements I am not yet ready to take. Of course, I also have to accept that my weight regularly fluctuates by as much as 5 lbs in any given day.

Weigh in aside, I am now wondering how I can adjust my snacking habits. I am a night snacker. When I am sitting around, even after an active day and a large dinner, I get "peckish" and start to graze. Now, I'm not as bad as I used to be but my default craving is still popcorn. Unfortunately, it's usually settled with a package of microwave popcorn coated in a horrifying butter-flavoured fat/salt slurry that I then coat with flavour toppings. Oh, now there's a side rant if ever there was one. I used to love movie popcorn for the basic butter and salt combo but then they (the theatres) added flavours and made me want them. Tangy salt and vinegar, floury sour cream and onion, eye-watering dill pickle. Stupid chemical additives. So now, I have flavour shakers at home, too. Of course I know that air-popped popcorn is hundreds of times healthier but I no longer like plain popcorn. I might as well be eating packing peanuts.

So what do do about the night snacking? I've tried smaller portions of popcorn, those flavoured rice or popcorn cakes, fruit, tea, water.... but that's just variations on a theme. I still feel the need to be shoving something into my mouth. What the hell for? Honestly, I suspect this might be the kind of thing therapy is made for.

In the meantime, I will be thinking about this, nightly.

No comments: